Sunday, November 22, 2009

Why Are Christians Praying For The Death Of President Obama?

This week a story broke that “Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8” paraphernalia was being sold on the internet. Hats, t-shirts, bears, mugs, mouse pads, etcetera, all bearing this statement were being sold to presumably our Christian brethren on the right. It went relatively under the radar, I assume, until someone actually read Psalm 109:8. It reads, “May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership”. So what this campaign is all about is praying for President Obama’s quick removal from office, right?

Certainly, that would be the case if you take Psalm 109:8 out of the context in which was written and take it literally. But what if Psalm 109:8 is put in the proper context? The meaning of this scripture takes a rather insidious turn and doesn’t actually fit the “political” statement at which I hope they were aiming (no pun intended). Here is what’s in Psalm 109 before and after verse 8:
1 O God, whom I praise, do not remain silent, 2 for wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues. 3 With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause. 4 In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer. 5 They repay me evil for good, and hatred for my friendship. 6 Appoint an evil man to oppose him; let an accuser stand at his right hand. 7 When he is tried, let him be found guilty, and may his prayers condemn him. 8 May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership. 9 May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow. 10 May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven from their ruined homes. 11 May a creditor seize all he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor. 12 May no one extend kindness to him or take pity on his fatherless children. 13 May his descendants be cut off, their names blotted out from the next generation…

I’ll stop there; but there are 31 verses in Psalm 109. The author of Psalm 109 has a real issue with this individual(s). He switches from the plural to the single a few times throughout the chapter. In essence, he is describing himself as a victim of the attack of an accuser(s). He’s asking God to unleash his wrath upon him/them and his family. In verse 9, he goes as far as calling for his/their death.

Hence, if this scripture is taken in context in which it was written, the short days implied here are referring to his death. So, I ask, why are Christians praying for the death of President Obama?

3 comments:

  1. Truth, that was deep. Thanks for breaking it down for me. This indeed went under the radar ... until it hit your radar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I'd have to say that Christians aren't praying, only those who proclaim to be Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ThatTeowonna...
    Thanks!

    @Don...
    Keen observation!

    ReplyDelete